In tracing available records of the Fairview A.M.E. Church, it is evident that this “little church on the side of a hill” was built on the faith of a community that desired strongly to serve God with everything they possessed. According to early records, it was because of the “strong desire of the people of the communities of Forest Hill, Cooptown, and Jarrettsville for a place to worship, that a group met with the Superintendent of Schools in Harford County [to] ask permission to hold religious services in the school-house on Sundays. [And] as they worshiped, plans were made for the building of a church.”
Soon, the congregation of Fairview African Methodist Episcopal Church began to see their plans to build a church crystallize. In 1897, under the leadership of Reverend Murray, the building fund began to increase steadily, Mr. George Turner donated some property, and additional lots were purchased. As interest in the building program grew, it created a yearning for improvements in the worship service. Thus, camp meeting (held in tents), had its beginning.
The following pastors and the congregation continued to grow the church spiritually and physically. The church was ready for occupancy within 2 years, a bell was purchased for the church. In 1927 a parsonage was purchased and the church was wired for electric lights. A hall was dedicated in 1944 and named in honor of Deborah Bond. In 1946 Fairview purchased grounds to extend the cemetery, which was later dedicated as the Turner Memorial Cemetery.
Fairview has helped support local organizations in the community including SARC and the Harford Alliance for the Homeless. Each year our church gives presents to the children on behalf of their incarcerated parent by way of Angel Tree. We continue to work within the community.
Fairview AME Church
2328 High Point Road, Forest Hill, MD 21050
Copyright © 2022 Fairview AME Church - All Rights Reserved.